University Distinguished Outreach Faculty
This award recognizes faculty who have made outstanding contributions to outreach at The University of Arizona, in the State of Arizona and the nation. The call for nominations is issued annually in September and are due in early December.
University of Arizona Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost
To recognize outstanding faculty whose scholarship-based outreach to the state, nation and the world has demonstrated sustained excellence in the University’s outreach mission.
In addition to the title of University Distinguished Outreach Faculty (e.g. University Distinguished Outreach Professor, University Distinguished Outreach Librarian, University Distinguished Outreach Research Scientist, etc), this award carries a $5,000 increase to base salary. Up to two awards may be made each year and will be presented in a ceremony.
Eligibility for the award shall be extended to members of the general faculty holding any rank, although emeritus faculty are not eligible.
University faculty, staff, students, alumni and external constituents are invited to make nominations.
The University of Arizona Distinguished Outreach Faculty Award is intended for individuals who demonstrate outstanding commitment to outreach in the following ways:
- A significant record of conducting outreach policy, practices and implementation at the University of Arizona.
- A record of distinguished creative scholarship.
- The sustained application of scholarship in non-formal classrooms such as the field, the community, business and industry, healthcare systems, the courts, schools, the home, or wherever people seek information and assistance to create a better life for themselves and their families.
This award recognizes distinguished University outreach for the common good of the state and the nation and is the highest honor awarded in this category at the University of Arizona. Evidence of an innovative outreach program within his/her discipline, short- and long-term impacts and creative delivery methods are essential.
Each nomination packet should be organized and labeled and contain the following information:
- One letter of nomination signed by four individuals, at least two of whom must be University of Arizona faculty. The nomination letter should specify how the nominee meets the criteria for the award.
- A current curriculum vitae for the nominee.
- A personal statement by the nominee describing his/her approach to outreach and scholarship.
- Documentation of outreach effectiveness and commitment including:
- Letters of support (no more than six), but at least two from external constituents of the University.
- Description of innovative outreach program presented.
- Description creative delivery methods used.
- Description of recognized environmental, social, or economic impact to the targeted audience(s).
- Description of innovation in creative scholarship as it relates to outreach.
- Description of appropriate networks and partnerships.
- Listing of extracurricular university or statewide activities as they relate to the outreach mission of the University and the nominee’s personal mission.
Submission of Materials
Materials are to be submitted via email as a composite PDF file, complete with: the nomination coversheet including page separators identifying each section to the Office of the Provost, Attention: Asya Roberts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition, please submit ONE copy of the entire nomination packet with original signatures and secure the packet with a sturdy clip. Do not staple or use loose leaf notebooks or three-ring binders. Materials such as books, reprints, CDs, DVDs or videotapes will not be accepted.
The nomination cover sheet (fillable PDF) that identifies one person on the nomination team/committee to whom correspondence and/or questions may be directed must also be included in both the composite PDF file and the original.
Review the nomination packet carefully before submitting to make sure that all of the required material is accurate and included. Packets that are incomplete may be delayed.
Nominations are reviewed by a university wide committee. Notification of the outcome of the committee review will be sent to the individual, the Dean of the College and the nomination team/committee representative in early April.
The deadline for the receipt of 2019 nominations is November 30, 2018.
All awardees will be selected in 2019.
For Further Information
Please contact: Asya Roberts, 626.0202 or email email@example.com.