University Distinguished Professors
The University Distinguished Professor Award was created in 1995. Those honored have demonstrated throughout their careers that they have made a difference in student lives through personal commitment, mentored a broad range of undergraduate students, demonstrated in their classroom or discipline one or more of the following forms of scholarship: integration, application, teaching and discovery, and fostered an attitude of critical inquiry, encouraging students to question assumptions, challenge conventional wisdom and to scrutinize evidence carefully. The call for nominations is issued annually in September and are due in early December.
University of Arizona Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost
The University Distinguished Professor awards, were created in 1995 by President Manuel Pacheco to recognize faculty who have a long-term commitment to undergraduate education and have made outstanding contributions at The University of Arizona.
In addition to the title of University Distinguished Professor, this award carries a $5,000 increase to base salary.
Individuals holding any faculty rank are eligible, although emeritus faculty are not eligible. Up to two awards may be made each year.
Appointed individuals will have demonstrated outstanding commitment to undergraduate education in the following ways:
- A minimum of 10 years teaching at the University of Arizona with at least 50% of the teaching assignment in undergraduate teaching
- A distinguished record of creative scholarship (research)
- The application of scholarship in the undergraduate classroom
- Evidence of the highest standards of teaching
- Evidence of effective advising and mentoring of undergraduates
- Involvement in undergraduate curriculum innovation within his/her discipline and/or in University general education
- Evidence of extra-curricular activities or extra-mural service related to the undergraduate experience
University faculty, staff, students, and alumni are invited to make nominations. Each nomination should contain the following:
- A letter of nomination signed by at least four individuals, at least two of whom must be University of Arizona faculty. The letter should specify how the nominee meets the criteria for the award.
- A current curriculum vitae for the candidate.
- A personal statement of the candidate’s approach to teaching and scholarship
- Documentation of undergraduate teaching effectiveness and commitment including:
- Letters of support (no more than six) from undergraduate students.
- Listing of undergraduate courses taught, by number and name, including the semesters and years in which the courses were taught.
- Quality of teaching, including quantitative and narrative measures on which quality is based.
- Amount and effectiveness of advising and mentoring.
- Innovation and impact in undergraduate curriculum development
- Innovation and impact in creative scholarship and research, especially as introduced into the classroom and in advising of undergraduate research.
- Extra-curricular university activities related to the undergraduate experience.
- Three years of Teacher Course Evaluations (TCE)
Submission of Materials
Materials are to be submitted via email as a composite PDF file, complete with: the nomination coversheet including page separators identifying each section to the Office of the Provost, Attention: Asya Roberts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition, please submit ONE copy of the entire nomination packet with original signatures and secure the packet with a sturdy clip. Do not staple or use loose leaf notebooks or three-ring binders. Materials such as books, reprints, CDs, DVDs or videotapes will not be accepted.
The nomination cover sheet (fillable PDF) that identifies one person on the nomination team/committee to whom correspondence and/or questions may be directed must also be included in both the composite PDF file and the original.
Review the nomination packet carefully before submitting to make sure that all of the required material is accurate and included. Packets that are incomplete may be delayed.
Nominations are reviewed by a university-wide committee. Notification of the award winners will be sent to the individual, the Dean of the College and the nomination contact person in March. Notification of nominations that were not selected will be sent to the Dean of the College and the contact person or an appropriate senior member of the nominating team.
Award recipients will be recognized at the Regents' Professors, University Distinguished Professors and University Distinguished Outreach Faculty Induction Ceremony that honors recipients of the highest faculty teaching awards at the University of Arizona.
Nominations for 2019 are closed.
Due dates for 2020 will be posted at a later date.
For More Information
Please contact: Asya Roberts, 626.0202 or email email@example.com